HEAD OF GARDENING AND GROUNDS TEAM
Essential Requirements: Previous experience managing the day to day running of gardens, parkland, woodland and estate gardens
A Head of Gardening and grounds team is required for a privately-owned Estate, located just outside Barnet and set in 250 acres of parkland. The house is used both as a private residence and let out for private corporate events.
- Take ownership of budgeting, designing, planning and implementing routine maintenance and any projects across the estate with the aim to maintain, restore and enhance the gardens, parkland, woodland and grounds.
- Oversee and manage the day to day running of the gardens/parkland/woodland/estate grounds/business park communal areas with support from the Head Groundsman and team members.
- Oversee and manage garden and grounds staff members including managing or signing off holiday and address any issues with absence and sickness seeking input from the General Manager if required.
- Brief garden and grounds team members weekly on planned works and allocate jobs accordingly. Ensure the work is completed in a timely manner and maintain flexibly for any reactive or urgent works.
- Ensure gardening and grounds team comply with all current Health and Safety regulations and identify and manage any risks associated with working practices, including ensuring team are wearing appropriate clothing, footwear and PPE.
- Ensure all relevant certificates (for chainsaw operation, spraying etc) are up to date for members of gardening and grounds staff and organise training where necessary to ensure team members are able to fulfil their roles.
- Schedule routine maintenance and planting and any planned projects across the estate and prepare a detailed yearly planner seeking input from the Head Groundsman and to be approved by the General Manager.
- Prepare and adhere to a budget for the year for routine maintenance and planned projects and take full responsibility for associated costs including the purchase of all supplies and ensure any work outsourced by third party contractors is competitive. Budget and invoices to be approved by General Manager.
- Oversee the Tree Policy for the wider estate and implement a rolling inspection programme for higher risk areas and ensure that it is adhered to by the team. Oversee Head Groundsman in undertaking or appointing third party contractors for tree works across the estate as identified in the rolling tree surveys.
- Lead on the new tree planting schemes planned across the Estate.
- Attend monthly update meeting with the General Manager.
- Oversee the use of the gardening and grounds vehicles ensuring the team members keep them clean and tidy at all times and liaise with Estate Office and General Manager for any maintenance required to garden vehicles.
- Ensure that all “public” areas of the estate (entrances/front of house/rear of house/driveways) and the communal areas within the business park are managed and kept tidy at all times.
- Ensure that all maintenance gardening areas (gardener’s office/gas house/greenhouses etc) are kept clean and tidy at all times.
- Contribute towards the smooth running of the estate in collaboration with the Estate Office and General Manager and, where required, assist with the preparation for any special events, activities, or projects throughout the year.
Separate accommodation provided + Private Healthcare. Negotiable salary based on experience. (HU4020)