CANADA (TORONTO) WITH travel to PROVENCE in France.
House Manager / Estate Manager. OPEN TO APPLICANTS LEGALLY ENTITLED TO WORK IN CANADA ONLY.
Seeking an experienced House Manager / Estate Manager who will oversee the day-to day operations of a Toronto residence and who will have the general oversight of a second vacation home in France.
In France the candidate will work with the France House Manager to ensure high-level management of the property including any major construction and maintenance projects, and the upkeep of household manuals. In Toronto, the candidate will be much more hands on, responsible for all the details of the home. Both homes have appropriate additional housekeeping staff.
For both residences, the successful candidate will be one that thrives in an environment with defined processes and standards. They enjoy maintaining and developing the manuals and checklists that support a well-organized home. The position requires a high energy individual with an excellent work ethic and a sense of pride in work well done. And importantly, the candidate understands that all assigned tasks are taken on with full ownership, and seen through to completion, in a timely manner.
This role requires that the candidate be comfortable working in close collaboration with a very hands-on homeowner who cares greatly for their home. Daily “touch base” meetings, weekly reports, and an open and constant dialogue define the management style of the principal
Finally, both homes are highly cultured, semi-formal, but are kept to the highest standards. Busy houses, the life in the homes is not precious, but it is demanding.
OPEN TO APPLICANTS LEGALLY ENTITLED TO WORK IN CANADA ONLY.
- Work with all staff and services to maintain household and property standards
- Manage, hire and train all household staff. Establish reporting systems and ensure that housekeepers are performing in accordance with expectations. Work with each housekeeper to ensure that they understand the expectations of their position and the standards of the Principal.
- Ensure that all household manuals are updated regularly for both residences, keeping the Toronto manuals current and working with the France Household Manager for the manuals in the home in France
- Manage all household inventories
- Screen and oversee all trades and services, including contractors and small construction projects
- Oversee household security and safety; ensure that protocols are maintained by all staff
- Manage Evening detailing of the property ensuring that all surface are kept clear, any maintenance issues are identified quickly and that the home is put at the ready for the principal’s evening
- Manage all maintenance systems
- Manage an extensive art collection and wine collection in conjunction with the EPA
- Organization of major storage areas in the home and offsite.
- Event planning, execution and logistics; entertaining is hands on and to the highest standard
- Installation of holiday décor
- Vehicle maintenance and occasional driving
- Able to be hands on with all housekeeping roles if required, including light cooking
- Other duties as required
Skills and Requirements:
- Minimum 5 years and preferably 10 years previous experience working in a semi-formal or formal residence in a management role
- Ability to thrive in a team-based environment; develop and maintain positive relationships with, staff, trades and services
- Excellent communication; ability to understand the importance of knowledge sharing and consistent reporting.
- An ability to manage, coach and motivate housekeeping staff
- An ability to explain process and goals to housekeeping staff
- An ability to breakdown large projects into step-by-step processes
- Thorough knowledge of household technology and mechanical systems
- Must be computer proficient using a Windows operating system, and comfortable solving basic tech problems
- Must be highly organized and willing to work with the Principal and understand their
preferred organizational systems
- Energetic problem solving with the ability to take the initiative
- Effective time management with strong execution and completion strategies
- Polished, professional and respectful; a quiet presence in the household
- Highly discreet in preserving the confidentiality and privacy of the family
- Post-Secondary education would be an asset
- Able to travel to France 2-3 times yearly for short trips of 2-3 weeks at a time
- Proficiency in French would be expected
- Knowledge of gardens and horticulture would be an asset
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Valid driver’s license and passport
Regular workdays are Monday to Friday, but flexibility is required for occasional weekends.
Availability for maintenance emergencies is essential.
Excellent salary and benefits for the right candidate.